30he thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) offers interesting uses for waterproofing. It is about one of the last materials weldable by heat that entered the market, although it is penetrating strongly due to its resistance, its high performances and its reduced installation cost.
What are the roofs of TPO composed of?
The main base of the TPO is the polypropylene (PP), either it is of homopolymer, copolymer of impact or others. This is a thermoplastic which offers rigidity and stability.
It is accompanied by the elastomers, which give it resistance to impacts and flexibility. The final performance and durability is improved with additives, which can be from the plasticizers up to the antioxidants.
Finally, the high TPO roofs offer rigidity and stability due to the talc and to the mineral loads like the fibreglass or the carbon. It must be highlighted that, due to the use of the additives, it can be obtained a fireproof covered area and which supports the scratching or the corrosive effects of the seawater.
Where can this type of sheets be used?
At present, its application can be seen in industrial warehouses, residential homes, commercial buildings or sports halls, among many other constructions.
How many types of TPO sheets are there?
We should differentiate two main types:
- The Rigid TPO sheets
The rigid TPO are composed of a high part of Polypropylene (approx. 56%) and the rest is composed of elastomers and additives.
- The Flexible TPO sheets
Most of the flexible TPO are composed of elastomers (approx. 70%) and the rest of polypropylene; the additives are calculated depending on the performance we want.
On the other hand, the research of the elastomers has experienced a great advance, do to it nowadays it can be produced TPO sheets tailored to the needs we have.
Which are the benefits of the use of TPO sheets?
- High resistance to the effect of the ultraviolet rays (UV) and out in the open.
- It supports the effect of the chemical products.
- Long useful life. The stability of the colour contributes to it.
- Easy installation and adaptable to very different floors, terraced roofs, tile roofs.
- Low cost in comparison to the installation of other type of materials.
- It doesn’t require periodical maintenance.
- It is possible to install it both in roofs with insulation like in those which don’t have it. Besides, it can be installed in roofs in bad condition.